[NEWS] Trump doubts U.S. needs to send more troops to Middle East – Loganspace AI

0
215


WASHINGTON (Reuters) – President Donald Trump said on Thursday he didn’t sigh extra U.S. troops are the largest within the Center East to counter Iran, casting doubt on a Pentagon thought to bolster forces within the set up.

“I don’t sigh we’re going to need them. I with out a doubt don’t,” Trump told journalists. “I’d completely send troops if we settle on them.” If the largest, “we’ll be there in whatever number we settle on,” he added.

Trump, who has been focused on looking out to slash back the series of U.S. troops deployed around the field, spoke almost today earlier than he became as soon as to be briefed at the White Residence on a brand recent deployment thought by acting Protection Secretary Patrick Shanahan.

Shanahan said the Pentagon became as soon as eager about sending extra U.S. troops to the Center East as unquestionably one of many programs to bolster security for American forces there amid tensions with Iran.

“What we’re having a specialize in at is: Are there things that we can assemble to enhance force security within the Center East?” Shanahan said.

“It’s going to merely fill sending extra troops.”

But Shanahan, in remarks to journalists out of doorways the Pentagon, brushed aside experiences suggesting particular numbers of troops were being thought about at this point, pronouncing: “As soon as there’s a switch, I’ll offer you an update.”

Tensions between Tehran and Washington had been regularly escalating in most modern weeks, as Trump tightens sanctions meant to slash off Iran’s ability to promote oil on international markets. The Trump administration will be warning of conceivable Iranian plots against The united states and its allies.

U.S. President Donald Trump speaks to journalists on a unfold of problems throughout an match devoted to “The united states’s farmers and ranchers” within the Roosevelt Room of the White Residence in Washington, U.S., May perchance merely 23, 2019. REUTERS/Carlos Barria

Iran denies the accusations.

Any decision to send extra U.S. troops would educate a transfer to bustle the deployment of a provider strike group to the Center East and send bombers and Patriot missiles to the set up primarily based on what Washington said were troubling indications of conceivable preparations for an attack by Iran.

The USA says the steps are geared toward preventing battle by deterring any unhealthy process by Iran or Iran-backed forces. But Iran has accused the US of brinksmanship.

Reuters reported on Wednesday that the Pentagon became as soon as eager about a proposal to send about 5,000 troops while other media reported that as much as 10,000 will be deployed.

“I purchased up this morning and browse that we were sending 10,000 troops to the Center East, and then I study extra just just today that there became as soon as 5,0000,” Shanahan said.

“There is rarely any 10,000 and there isn’t any longer any 5,000.”

The Pentagon normally receives – and declines – requests for extra sources from U.S. combatant commands exact by the field.

A senior commander of Iran’s principal Revolutionary Guards on Thursday described the standoff between Iran and the US as a “conflict of wills.”

FILE PHOTO – Performing Protection Secretary Patrick Shanahan arrives to testify earlier than a Senate Appropriations Protection Subcommittee listening to on the proposed FY2020 funds for the Protection Division on Capitol Hill in Washington, U.S., May perchance merely 8, 2019. REUTERS/Aaron P. Bernstein

“The disagreement and face-off of the Islamic Republic of Iran and the malicious government of The united states is the field for a conflict of wills,” Iran’s navy chief of crew Fundamental Overall Mohammad Baqeri said.

He pointed to a fight throughout the 1980-88 Iran-Iraq war the set up Iran became as soon as victorious and said the will be a message that Iran can possess a “exhausting, crushing and obliterating response” for any enemy “adventurism.”

On Sunday, Trump tweeted: “If Iran desires to strive against, that will be the official pause of Iran. Below no circumstances threaten the US again!” But he has also signaled a willingness to chat with Tehran.

Reporting by Phil Stewart and Jeff Mason; extra reporting by Steve Holland in Washington and Babak Dehghanpisheh in Geneva; Editing by Phil Berlowitz and James Dalgleish

Leave a Reply